Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sponsorship Blog Articles

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sponsorship Blog Articles on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Below is my current attempt at the introductory post for our sponsorship blog. It needs a lot more work. Please read it over and tell me what you think. Right now I am primarily concerned about the tone. It currently sits at 560ish words, and there is a lot more I'd like to say to introduce us.

For a lot of people wheel-to-wheel, endurance automotive racing sounds like a ton of fun, but it exists on the wealth/privilege scale somewhere between Luxury Yacht Polo and Narwhal Jousting. The thought that three poor college students (really two poor students and one poor "Engineer") could build and race a car in an endurance race is absurd. None of us owned a home, let alone a chalet in southern France and our knowledge of champagne started and ended with Cooks.

This was nominally true until a few idiot savants in California realized they could make racing fun again. After all, the concept of racing is ridiculous, you flog some piece of equipment in a circle or line until it either dies or you are forced to stop. If racing is the process of turning money into noise then it should be cheap and if it is going to be cheap then it shouldn't be taken too seriously. Under that concept the 24 Hours of LeMons was born. It was initially supposed to be a one-time thing, but idiocy can be contagious and now they run ~20 races a year throughout the USA. The pitch is that all of the cars have to be bought and prepped for $500 or less (minus the safety equipment). The desire to race for cheap is so prevalent that it even spawned a spin off race series that focuses more on racing cheap cars and less on racing cheap cars that are an exact copy of "The Homer".

Fraidy Cat Racing originally formed up to race a 1994 Jaguar XJ12. It was a massive sedan powered by an equally massive 6.0L V12. It was a perfect embodiment of Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear (UK). It was loud and full of braggadocio and you'd be chuckling with excitement right up until it utterly failed and made you wonder how anyone or anything could be so incompetent. After three races we sold that car and purchased our current Teutonic Terror.

We now race a 1998 Audi A4, 1.8T Quattro with the five speed. It is nimble, efficient and first-rate and blowing right the hell up with no warning. It has over 200,000 miles on the chassis and is on its third engine since we bought it.

Alan: Alan is some kind of Engineer at some kind of company, you know the kind. He is quite good at trouble-shooting the various issues we run into and functions as our team Audi expert despite have no prior experience with Audis.

Eric: Eric is a Chemical Engineer at Chevron. He is always certain to remind us how this season’s blend of gasoline will affect our power and fuel economy, you know the kind. He handles the team financials and is often the voice of reason (or at least restraint).

Mark: Mark is some kind of an operator at Chevron turning valves or something, you know the kind. Mark is very competent at fitting together pieces of equipment that should go together, but don’t want to. He also has a tendency to fasten everything down really tight.

Ed: Ed is an “Engineer” at some kind of vaguely defined aerospace company, you know the kind. He functions as the crew chief and article writer. He is too slow behind the wheel to be allowed on the track, so he makes up for by handling race strategy and logistics.

View user profile

2 Re: Sponsorship Blog Articles on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:10 am

not bad, although I think we should do a better job of selling the Audi. I would just add something about us getting the car sorted out and finishing 12th. That and spelling Marc's name correctly.
As far as the humor level goes I think you could up it a little, but I'm probably not to be trusted on things like that... for reference here is the new turbo I have picked out.

note: this is just a picture I found on the internet I wont be picking it up until later this week.

Eric,
Where are you at with those pictures?

View user profile

3 Re: Sponsorship Blog Articles on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:36 am

I was hoping to stretch it out to a couple of blog posts before I caught the readers up on our current situation. I suppose I can toss in a teaser, flash-forward, bit so the readers know where they're going.

That turbo is really big. I have to wonder if there it room for it in that section of the engine bay. There is no way we will be able to hide it during tech.

View user profile

4 Re: Sponsorship Blog Articles on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Not a bad plan, I think a simple mention of our "success" should do it.

as far as the turbo goes it fits and there is no way we are hiding it, not that we would want to.

View user profile

5 Re: Sponsorship Blog Articles on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Oooof.  I'll start working on heat management ideas.  First blush is some aluminum heat shielding and an electric radiator fan bolted to the hood.
See below

View user profile

6 Re: Sponsorship Blog Articles on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:47 pm

I think we could get plenty of air flow by removing the headlight

View user profile

7 Re: Sponsorship Blog Articles on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:37 pm

I just saw this thread and love it.  I can't wait to see the look on Judge Phil's face.  I have a compilation of 5 decent pictures including one good one of us on track.  I will take some more when we work next weekend.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum