2 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:17 am

TO DO LIST: by order of importance

Purchase and replace rear brake pads
Front passenger side fuel rail o-ring

Purchase and replace seat
Purchase and replace windshield
Power steering troubleshoot
Purchase tires

Fluids (engine, ps, brake fluid, check diff fluid)
Move red Jag lower radiator hose over to Fluffy, armor said hose
Purchase backup distributor cap and rotor.

Muffler delete
Purchase and replace front subframe bushings (front and rear)
Purchase and replace engine mounts
Paint

Swap red Jag diff to Fluffy

Front, upper, rear control arms

Last edited by Ed / Cassidy on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:28 am; edited 3 times in total

View user profile

3 Distributor caps on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:13 am

New distributor caps are $61 on Amazon Prime. Should we plan on buying a couple and prepainting them with liquid electrical tape?

Amazon Distributor cap

View user profile

4 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:42 am

We're in for Arse Freeze. Someone prime the checkbook.

View user profile

5 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:31 am

It's still warm from the house buying.

View user profile

6 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:32 am

Adding to the to-do list....
Find 3rd driver. Adam backed out. Should I approach Jon Ma again? Maybe Marc has saved up money too.

View user profile

7 Notes from Rich about Fluffy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:22 pm

My notes on Fluffy are that it needs front and rear brake rotors resurfaced, brakes bled, fuel filter changed and look at the distributor. Oil is AMSOIL and it has one race on it. There’s brake rotor boxes in it so I can’t remember if new front rotors were put on it or they are still in the box. Rear rotors definitely need turned. You might as well have the used fronts turned as well for spares or keep the new ones as spares. Get an account on RockAuto and save XJ12 as your car. They email with closeouts from time to time which is where some of these spares came from. There’s a new set of rear KYB’s for the red car but they could just as easily be spares. I’ve upped the spring rate on it a ton all around with offroad springs up front and NASCAR modified springs in the rear. I’m thinking the fronts are around 750lb and rears around 600lb. The rear shocks are fairly new bilsteins but I’m not sure there’s enough shock back there for the big springs. The rheostat on the trans tunnel is for adjusting the cool suit pump speed (which doesn’t come with). Belts are a year old and I’m just remembering that on this car I wanted to try “pull up” lapbelts (both belts pull inwards towards the driver instead of away) in an attempt to make it easier for the driver to tighten himself in. It doesn’t really work in this application. You might want to pitch them. At some point something in the fuel pump circuitry went sideways during a race so that was bypassed and the pumps are run off one of the former aux light switches on the right side of the dash. Seem to recall that the switch is powered by the killswitch, not the keys so it’s easy to forget the pumps still run when you turn the car off with the key, leave the killswitch on and continue to run the fuel pumps. The way the thing worked was one pump runs up to 3k or something RPM and then the second pump kicks in. Running both pumps all the time doesn’t seem to bother it but I’d clean up the wiring on that so the pump is driven by the key. The original problem with the car was that there are one way valves in the tank to keep the pumps from trying to pressure each other rather than the motor. Jag sells them all as one canister unit for a bunch of money so I took them apart, replaced both pumps and put in one way valves like these http://www.amazon.com/Check-Valve-Diesel-Fuel-Flow/dp/B0084NNCK0 The valves were cheap which makes me question their robustness which is why I point out what I did. There are two sets of wheels. It has three Dunlops ZII’s on the car and 1 DZ101 plus 3 DZ!01 spares and one dead ZII. I would plan on buying two tires for it. I tried to cheap out with the DZ101s but I think they are too hard (300TW) to be racing on them.

FWIW, Phil has been pushing me to supercharge it. And that AC compressor is sitting there doing nothing in the perfect spot for a blower. I have no idea how you would turbocharge it unless you mounted them in the trunk. To replace the front suspensions bushings (delrin BTW), I had to drop the right side exhaust header pipe. One nut at a time. One flat at a time. There’s 6 of them. That’s the easy side. The steering mech is in the way on the left side and I have no idea how you get in there. You’d probably want to go with a megasquirt to manage the fuel. Also reminds me that the exhaust got replaced and the catalysts pitched. I (very poorly) flanged the exhaust so the mufflers could be replaced with straight pipes (included) but the execution (and my new welding skills) wasn’t the best. The flanges tend to get hung up on the trailer. I also made the tailpipes removeable to keep them from getting hung on the trailer and they fell off in tech at the last race and are pinned on there with whatever baling wire I could find. That all should be tightened up. I looked into the manual swap. My take was that the main problem is that the 6.0 block has different trans mounting holes than the previous 5.3 so you can’t use a bellhousing from a V12 e-type. I doubt the pattern is 100% different so maybe you could get most of the bolts to line up. John from Pendejo (the XJS/Alfa 164/Quattraporte/S500/etc) that used to run in LeMons has a Jag 4 speed trans and maybe a 5.3 bellhousing that he wants $800 or so for it. Seems like there was a guy who makes a bellhousing for the 6.0 but it’s $1200 or something and you still need a trans although with that setup your options are not just limited to a Jag 4 speed (which are hard to find btw). Seems like there was a whole bunch of options for trans with the custom bellhousing. Flywheel is available from Fidanza. Since the existing trans is essentially a GM TH400 under the electronics which has been the go-to trans for hot rodders for years, it seems to me that looking for one of those manual shift kits for a TH400/4L80E might be the way to go.

I can see finding a bad (or cheap) 6.0 trans and bandsaw the bellhousing off of it, weld a plate on the end and mount the trans there. I found an 94 XJ12 in the DIY JY so it’s possible. No messing with bolt patterns or starter locations. FWIW, the left front lower control arm bushings didn’t get changed when I was in there because I couldn’t get the steering rack out of the way. I’d skip the designing your own heads thing or at least sit down with a camshaft designer first. There’s a lot of voodoo science in there. If you do ghettocharge, I’d like to remind you that’s an open deck block. That means the tops of the cylinders are unsupported and with all that cylinder pressure are likely to move around (technical term = fretting) and hose your head gaskets. I’d have Alan machine up some aluminum blocks to support the tops of the cylinders against the block walls and each other. And they probably need to be engineered to allow for expansion. At least look into the engineered fixes for Hondas which have the same problem.

View user profile

8 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Ordered
Front brake rotors
Distributor cap
Distributor rotor
Large kit of o-rings (hopefully one of them fits the fuel rail)

View user profile

9 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 am

View user profile

10 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:12 am

I just checked my wallet and yeah the ones we have are fine

View user profile

11 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:16 am

In 225/50/16, we have a wide selection of tires including RE-11A, RE-71, and RS-3 for around the same price. RE-11A's?

View user profile

12 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:29 am

Yeah those are going to be the best tire for a maybe dry, maybe flooded race

View user profile

13 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:33 am

Should we get 4 or 6?

$880 for 6 shipped to my house.

View user profile

14 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 am

We still have 3 ZII's that we can use, so I would say 4

View user profile

15 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 am

Ok, placing the order. $580 for 4 shipped

View user profile

16 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:24 pm

I pitched being a team member to my coworker Denver and he is going to think it over.  He's not much of a wrench, but is a car guy.  No track experience, but has been listening to me talk about LeMons for over a year.

Rearward front subframe mounts http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1177848&parttype=10944&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=ug91a33s25asoi2qb68ou2kh96         My understanding is that they have to be pressed out and new ones pressed in.  

Forward front subframe mount?  http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1994/jaguar/xj12/suspension/subframe_mount.html
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141574342730?clk_rvr_id=919933425027&rmvSB=true

We may have to attempt to rebuild the forward front subframe mounts.  I've got a nice selection of adhesives here at work and I'm sure we can find a suitable rubber material on McMaster Carr.

View user profile

17 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:07 am

Jon is thinking strongly about the race as well.

View user profile

18 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:43 am

Eric wrote:Jon is thinking strongly about the race as well.

I'd say that Jon gets preference, but I guess we could have them both.

View user profile

19 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:11 am

I would be fine with four drivers for this race

View user profile

20 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:24 am

Alan wrote:I would be fine with four drivers for this race
Me too

Tire Rack sells RE-11, not RE-11A. Here is a link to tire options.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=50&diameter=16&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=94803

The G-Force Rivals are on closeout for $125
RS-3s are $125
I have never heard of Kumho V720, but they are $122 also

View user profile

21 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:19 am

I would say the RS3s and hope it doesn't rain too much

View user profile

22 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:24 am

El Niño

View user profile

23 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:42 am

So the RE71s and it needs to rain?

View user profile

24 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:14 am

We should buy the rear pads as well.

View user profile

25 Re: Sonoma December 5-6 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Let's try the RS3. I'll order them tonight. Brake rotors are in. Alan, can you order the pads? We can schedule a windshield installation for Saturday if that works as a work day for you guys. O-rings are in-hand as well.

I'll see Jon tomorrow and ask about driving again.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum