Fraidy Cat Racing

1994 Jaguar XJ12

You are not connected. Please login or register

Power Steering

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Power Steering on Thu May 13, 2010 1:49 pm

The Jag currently has a power steering leak that can be measured in gallons per minute. It is likely leaking from several locations. Hopefully these leaks are just from the rubber sections of the hose and not from any of the fittings. If this is true then we can repair the hoses (assuming that we can get to them) utilizing a number of techniques.

Splicing new sections of rubber hose in or over existing hoses could work as well as products like Rescue Tape.

The general consensus is that we want to keep the power steering from burning up. I've tried turning the wheel without PS in the Jag, it's not fun.

View user profile

2 Re: Power Steering on Thu May 13, 2010 4:44 pm

I am all for keeping the power steering. I am available on Sunday to work on it if anyone else is. There is also a 1990 Jag at the Rancho Pick n Pull that we could check out to see if it has a PS pump. I want to try the rescue tape method / patch the tubing first.

View user profile

3 Re: Power Steering on Fri May 14, 2010 10:01 am

I am planning on coming into town on Saturday to work on the PS. If I can get that patched up and the tires that Alan purchased mounted, we stand a good chance to be able to make it to the autocross on Sunday.

View user profile

4 Re: Power Steering on Sun May 16, 2010 12:15 pm

I found the hose that I think we need. It has a different part number than the one you gave me Cass, but I think it's the right one. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1178917&parttype=7320&a=FRc1178917k494548-3667520

View user profile

5 Re: Power Steering on Mon May 17, 2010 2:13 pm

None of those hoses look like the proper one. The top end of the line had a fitting on it that looked more like the top hose in this image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am thinking that we replace the high pressure hoses in the system and wrap all of the others with that X-Treme tape stuff.

View user profile

6 Re: Power Steering on Fri May 21, 2010 9:08 am

Do you think that maybe it's just a somewhat generic picture that they used? I need to place an order soon if we want to make headway. If it doesn't fit, I can always return it. I will call Rockauto today and see what they have to say about the end piece.

View user profile

7 Re: Power Steering on Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 pm

Go ahead and order that part if you haven't already. Also, let's find us a brake shop or equivalent that could fab us up a custom hose if necessary.

The hose can be removed in 5-10 minutes using a flathead screwdriver a floor jack and a pair of crescent wrenches. Some metric open end wrenches would work better but the connection between the pump and the hose is around 19mm. Contact me with any questions.

View user profile

8 Re: Power Steering on Tue May 25, 2010 8:28 am

So, I talked to Rockauto and she confirmed my worst fear regarding the power steering high pressure hose. It is a different one on the XJS in regards to the XJ12. Even worse, they don't carry the XJ12 one. What kind of place should I look for to fabricate one? A brake shop, Les Schwab, and hydraulic shop...?

View user profile

9 Re: Power Steering on Tue May 25, 2010 8:52 am

A hydraulic shop is what we are going to need. A quick search finds none in Davis, but a few in South Sac. Also, there are a few in the East Bay that I can try to visit and see if they manufacture custom hoses. Worst case scenario, we will have to make some kind of franken hose and splice out all of the old rubber. We may be able to cut and flare the metal on the power steering hoses to accept brake line fittings.

View user profile

10 Re: Power Steering on Thu May 27, 2010 7:56 pm

I am going to take it down to delta rubber tomorrow to see what they can do.

View user profile

11 Re: Power Steering on Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 am

It's good to have you back Alan. How did the SAE competition go? Are you still catching up on sleep?

View user profile

12 Re: Power Steering on Fri May 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Its good to be back, and sleep is nice. We had one of the fastest cars at the competition, but unfortunately we also had one of the most broken. If I learned anything from it, it is that testing is key.

11 weeks

View user profile

13 Re: Power Steering on Fri May 28, 2010 4:01 pm

a phone call, a trip to two stores and $24.51 later

View user profile

14 Re: Power Steering on Fri May 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Excellent! I like that price and custom work. Now for the install and crossing our fingers.

View user profile

15 Re: Power Steering on Mon May 31, 2010 3:13 pm

installed and no leaks so far

View user profile

16 Re: Power Steering on Mon May 31, 2010 11:13 pm

I'll drink to that. I assume that you gave it a good test run. Maybe tried (and failed) to load it on a trailer early in the morning while waking up all of your neighbors.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum